最終更新日 2015年7月8日 印刷


 No matter what period it was out there – Keitai emperor’s period, the period of Civil War or the Meiji Restoration, Fukui city has always played an important historical role.
Even now traces of history remain strong. The city is dotted with historic sites that allow its visitors to savor the historical atmosphere.



Ichijodani, Remains of Asakura Family and Garden.

(Nationally-Designated Special Historical Site and Special
Scenic Spot.)


These are the remains of the castle town, which became the center of Echizen province 100 years after Asakura Takakage, a feudal lord during the age of Civil War, constructed a castle in Ichijodani in 1471. At the peak period there were more than 10,000 people living in the town. It was also a center of refined culture. The excavated residence remains and garden tell us about the old history and the street of old samurai’s residences and common people’s houses are restored to its original state now.




KitanoshoCastle Remains


The center of Fukui was once called Kitanosho. Kitanosho castle, which was said to be one of the biggest castles in Japan at that time, was built by Shibata Katsuie, a military commander during Civil War period and a ruler of Echizen province(Northern part of present Fukui prefecture). He concentrated his efforts especially on the civil administration. He also worked on the development of the castle town and established the foundation of today’s Fukui city.




FukuiCastle Remains


The castle was built in 1601, taking six years to complete, by Yuki Hideyasu, the second son of Tokugawa Ieyasu.
It is a renowned castle as a prosperity place of Matsudaira family that ruled Echizen for 17 generations until the end of Edo period. Only a part of its innermost moats and stonewalls remain today.




YokokanGarden (Nationally-Designated Scenic Spot)


It is the second house of Matsudaira family, the Fukui feudal clan, whose garden is known as a valuable specimen from the middle of the Edo period. It has an elegance-filled look.
A study and other structures burned due to the war damage were restored to their original grandeur after eight years of renovation. The garden reopened in 1993.